Motorcycle Down Old Pacific Hwy Sat
Just wondering if anyone heard about a 61 year old on a ducati went down and if it happen on that stupid road surface the council has put down on the south side of the hawksbury river
Wm Coach
yes, its very sad, in fact it was Allan Hail I'm led to believe. That road surface is very dangerous, be very careful if your going that way. I think the Ducatti was a new 1098 that his wife bought him.
Mark
Yes... it was Allan Hails - ex racer - on his 1098 Ducati. It happened on one of the recently re-sealed sections of the road north of Brooklyn. I was up there on Saturday. Great shame.

Also, if you're on the Old Pacific Hwy PLEASE BE CAREFUL. This is not a general reminder - its a warning. The surfaces are treacherous since the council recently went through and repaired hundreds of cracks with dribbled tar - even in dry conditions. In the wet, or early mornings you're asking for disaster to push it through most bends - especially in the 80 km/h section. Worst sections are from Pie through to Brooklyn (both directions). They then spread cement dust on them (why? I don't know) and its made it even worse.

There are so many lines of dribbled tar on some corners that its almost impossible to plot a course that misses them - especially when heading into the sun. Up until this weekend it's only ever caused the rear to skip out (which is disconcerting enough) but Sunday I nearly lost the front - skipped off one line, got traction, immediately hit another. Throttle saved me. Just.

Be careful guys and gals.

R.I.P Allan
That's sad news that he lost his life, not to mention the Ducati 1098.
Don't they put up warning signs ?
Condolences to his family..
never fly higher than your angel.
they dont on reefton :( many have gone down due to the same crap up there
[Image: nocensorship.gif]
Mutha... as Busgo mentioned in the other thread - a lot of riders believe it was done intentionally to slow riders down. The cracks used to be welcome for additional traction, now they do the opposite. If slowing people down was the aim, I think its worked.

p.s. - I was not implying that the road surface was the cause of Allans accident. I've visited the site and its on one of the newly resurfaced sections. There is a lot of discussion on the causes - none of which I can confirm or deny so I won't mention them here. Allan was a superb rider and he knew the Old Hwy very well. Must have done the trip at least a thousand times - literally.
Condolences to his family not good, not good at all
Wm Coach
Seems someone run him off the road as he was overtaking and he went over the guard rail and down the small cliff,, thats what i have been told.
kawasuki Wrote:Seems someone run him off the road as he was overtaking and he went over the guard rail and down the small cliff,, thats what i have been told.

Man that is so sad.
From what i hear he was a talented rider,if the road surface
was to blame people would be kicking up a shitstorm...
Now Theres an idea.
Sick of our battered roads.

Sad he lost his life,condolences go out to all who knew him.
kawasuki Wrote:Seems someone run him off the road as he was overtaking and he went over the guard rail and down the small cliff,, thats what i have been told.

I heard that too, but Max, (the owner of Road Warriors Cafe) was telling me on Sunday that the only other vehicles around at the time were the group of bikes he was travelling with. People seem to be a bit guarded about the circumstances, so as yet I'm not sure what transpired.
Why is it that so many of our state hwy's are in appalling condition pavement-wise. You can bet that if a rider like Allan has gone down then the conditions played their part (as they so often do!) Never hear about it though when the news story comes over about the motorcycle accident on such and such a road.
It's a week by week charade.
Astrobusa Wrote:

I heard that too, but Max, (the owner of Road Warriors Cafe) was telling me on Sunday that the only other vehicles around at the time were the group of bikes he was travelling with. People seem to be a bit guarded about the circumstances, so as yet I'm not sure what transpired.

Could be that they were going to fast for the conditions?
There's already too many rumours flying and I don't have details so I can't comment Ray.
For those who visit Oroadsports webpage -- there is a long thread about it there , and a lot of the guys who have ridden with Allen Hails have posted , may be worth a visit (although this forum is far more friendlier)

Boc
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....