Removing the 08 side cowling
BusaNation Wrote:Feel free to copy and paste any info from my site, i believe in sharing inforamation with other Busa sites so that everyone benefits and is in the loop-Cheers Duane

Thanks mate,great help, need more blokes with a sense of community like youTrophy

regards
Stevec107
Hi all

Im in the process of removing the cowling to fit my radiator guard and having an absolute ball Idiot2.

I believe i have removed all the clips and screws and am having a good ol wrestle with the lower ( chin ) area trying to separate the inner black piece.

Am i on the wright track by trying to separate the lower chin join then work my way up???any tips would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Sounds like you're doing it right Glaz.

There are the two large fasteners at the very bottom. Then for each side, there are another two smaller ones on each side up near the nose, and one large one near the oil cooler.

To remove the inner black part some force is necessary. They have always just "popped" apart for me without breaking anything - but just that first time you do it you wonder if you're forcing it.... not a nice feeling.

I was fortunate enough to have Shredder work it out for me the first time I did it.

Apologies for the crap camera phone.
[Image: guards.jpg]
Licence Back!
Thax mate

Got the bugger off this arvo now in the process of making the guards over the next couple of days.
ill have to post some pics of my busa to give you'se a look see.R77 cans ,new screen plus rad guards was going to buy a carbon fiber tank pad but even the small one,s they sell are huge so i barred it.

Cheers.Pi_thumbsup
TimF Wrote:Sounds like you're doing it right Glaz.

There are the two large fasteners at the very bottom. Then for each side, there are another two smaller ones on each side up near the nose, and one large one near the oil cooler.

To remove the inner black part some force is necessary. They have always just "popped" apart for me without breaking anything - but just that first time you do it you wonder if you're forcing it.... not a nice feeling.

I was fortunate enough to have Shredder work it out for me the first time I did it.

Apologies for the crap camera phone.
[Image: guards.jpg]

Hi,
I must be dull witted as I cannot get the side cowling off and don't seam to under stand.
The chin which I think is the black piece that goes round each side of right and left front cowlings right?? and your photo shows the fastener near the oil cooler.
I've taken all the screws out 1,2,3,4,5 plus 6 fasteners and the little one that is at the top of the chin black piece. So now do I take out the chin piece and slide the big cowling rearward and slightly downward. Is there no other fasteners behind the cowl??
Thanks
John. Ps all i want to do is change the oil filter.
Thanks John
Hi,
The trim piece he talks about (you gently reef the black trim piece straight upwards) is that the piece that is beside the fuel tank and runs down, does that have to be taken off too?/
Dumb John
Thanks John
Hi Piper,

Looking at the bike from the front, there are two parts to the large plastic side cowling:

1. The painted outer-side that has all the graphics on it.
2. The inner black plastics that act like a scoop for your radiator/oil cooler.

Basically, the coloured graphics parts needs to "unclip" from the inner black plastics. That way when you pull the graphics part away from the bike, the inner black plastics can stay behid.

It's a lot easier to do the right side of the bike first, things are slightly different on the left side of the bike.

Hope this helps...

Someone really needs to make a video tutorial for this... I certainly needed it!
Licence Back!
piperjon Wrote:Hi,
The trim piece he talks about (you gently reef the black trim piece straight upwards) is that the piece that is beside the fuel tank and runs down, does that have to be taken off too?/
Dumb John

The piece you are talking about will stay with the fairing but you have to pull it up at first to dislocate a large pin/grommet.
Licence Back!
Hi Timf,

Hay thanks for the help here!!! Once its off you can see how it fits, but when your new or first time removing the side cowl can be frustrating!!! Because you don't want to pull to hard thinking you may break some thing. I didn't take it right off, but while trying put on the new oil filter the cowl came off. maybe one or two more photos may help a newbie like me who isn't sure.
I'll take some photos of the cowl off so a guy can see what's there.

Thanks again
John
Thanks John
Hi,
Because i wanted to see how easy it was to put back on I forgot to take a few photos of the cowl it self showing the three(3) hooks ,pins what ever you call them that are on the cowl which had me stuffed to why it would not come off.
The black piece that runs along side your fuel tank has one (1) hook, pin, that goes down into a rubber grommet and has to be pulled up not out to be released as WarChild has said. The other two (2) hooks, pins, are pull out wards to be released from the rubber grommet again as WarChild has said. Under the front where the chin is, I did find it easy to remove only right side black piece from the cowl, was once I removed the two (2) fasteners, you can see two (2) black dots there, I pushed on the right side black dot and my cowl came lose from the chin black piece.
My thanks to Warchild for writing "how to remove the right side cowl on a K8" and TimF for your help.
Cheers
John
[attachment=3741]
Thanks John
My cowlings been off about on and off about 15 times and the plastic
grumet spike holders have broken off the inside of the fairing. Now I've got to carry that 2 part glue in my toolkit. Give me a pre-08 fairing anyday. Suzuki should have a recall and replace em all!
Yes I read the article and seen the info. Makes no difference. By the time most break em, your warrantees will be over and you'll get...... "should have taken it to an authorized suzuki dealer crap".
Definitely a Suzuki design engineer's fault when they made the moulds for the fairings. Might have cost em an extra 50 cents in plastic and another 5 mins with Mastercam X when they designed the molds!
I noticed the other day that a slight gap has appeared on the right side fairing just below the centre screw fitting where the blue part of the fairing meets up with the black part just behind the radiator vent.

My bike has done nearly 15,000ks and only the dealers have had the fairing off and on for oil filter changes.
If this is a broken clip, I will be taking it back for a warranty claim.
I spoke to the service guy at the dealership and he said that he hadn't seen any others like it before and will check it next time the bike is on the shop.

I have read a lot about broken clips but have not seen a photo of where to look, so I'll get a photo of the issue from my bike and post it up for comment.
[attachment=4193]
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Ray, check out dot org there have been a few there who had their fairing replaced under waranty from cracking. Print out the thread and take it into the dealer. Its hard for him or Suzuki to claim its a one off when you have proof to the contrary.
BUSGO Wrote:I noticed the other day that a slight gap has appeared on the right side fairing just below the centre screw fitting where the blue part of the fairing meets up with the black part just behind the radiator vent.

My bike has done nearly 15,000ks and only the dealers have had the fairing off and on for oil filter changes.
If this is a broken clip, I will be taking it back for a warranty claim.
I spoke to the service guy at the dealership and he said that he hadn't seen any others like it before and will check it next time the bike is on the shop.

I have read a lot about broken clips but have not seen a photo of where to look, so I'll get a photo of the issue from my bike and post it up for comment.

Hey Busgo,
Watson's are replacing my r/H side fairing to see if it fix's the issue then they would look at doing other bikes with the same problem, but mine is a test :-) let ya know how we go...
I'd rather be riding my Hayabusa thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my Hayabusa
Just used the tutorial to help me remove right hand fairing to fix clutch noise issue. Damn handy piece of work. Many thanks :)