PC3 USB
This is all very interesting and I have no doubt that the people handing out the advice know their business.

But remember, all the good advice about needing a PC for the K8 is coming from people who sell PCs.

I have also heard that the K8 ECU is a learning ECU and adapts to the operating environment very well. As you would expect from a product that has had more than 10 years development.

I have just completed a 3 day ride at (subsonic) - almost flat out in some cases - on a dead stock k8. The bike lacks nothing in the power stakes for everyday riding and unless you are going to drag or track ride your bike, I can see no logical reason to spend another 2 grand on making it faster than it can go as a stocky.
I admit that the OEM cans are heavy, but they can be easily replaced without the need for new electrics.
IMO.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Interesting viewpoint Busgo, one that I can relate to.

Everything I've read indicates that the ECU is indeed self adjusting. But it's keeping the AFR quite high. Is this too lean? I don't really know, but I don't want to find out the hard way and have to start giving away fat cheques to get the head taken off and new valves etc. haha. Getting a $350 power commander (delivered) seems like a good insurance policy.

I'm new to the game of power commanders, but as Simmo said the map for the '08 with full yoshi system is vicious.

Moving on from electrics, pulling that heavy stock system off was the best thing I could have done for the bike. Apart from now not being stealthy quiet, the bike does everything better from my perspective. Handling, exhaust note, looks, power. I enjoy the bonuses in that order.
Licence Back!
I suppose the best way to know is to fit a pc to a stocky and see if it makes more power on the dyno.What gets me is how they mapped stock cans as you cant stick the sniffer down the stock mufflers so someone must have welded a bigger bung on there mid pipe to tune as the stock o2 sensor bung is too small.I seriously doubt the stock o2(narrow band sensor) has the ability to pull or add fuel at wot.Brock didn,t think so and fitted an 02 eliminator and tuned as per normal.If they dont need tuning then finding the pipe that best uses the fuelling available will make the best power.In regards to fuelling changes for just slip ons you,d hope the computer compensates as the breathing would change alot.I swapped an older can for a fresh carbon can with new packing on my gen1 and my fuelling tables were a long way out,just from old to new packing.Oh and by the way Normally apirated busas will make best power on a dyno around 13.7/1 air fuel.My wideband testing at the drags shows best onroad power and acceleration is between 12.5-13.2/1.the leaner dyno map is too peaky which spikes at max torque and noses over as soon as max power is reached.The richer tune has better overall power.
From what i read about the usb on a gen 2 to fully tune it you need 2 of them, one for each set of injectors,primary injectors run to ~7000 rpm then taper back to low duty cycle as the secondarys kick in.
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/inde...c=128062.0
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/inde...c=128030.0
Obviously Spaz is trying to generate sales but for a piggyback on a fairly modified bike the bazazz unit looks to be better value than 2 pc's

Std 08 closed loop self tune will only work at cruise and would need to be turned off if mapping that area with a pc or any changes would be compensated for and revert to std a/f settings
TimF Wrote:Interesting viewpoint Busgo, one that I can relate to.

Everything I've read indicates that the ECU is indeed self adjusting. But it's keeping the AFR quite high. Is this too lean? I don't really know, but I don't want to find out the hard way and have to start giving away fat cheques to get the head taken off and new valves etc. haha. Getting a $350 power commander (delivered) seems like a good insurance policy.

I'm new to the game of power commanders, but as Simmo said the map for the '08 with full yoshi system is vicious.

Moving on from electrics, pulling that heavy stock system off was the best thing I could have done for the bike. Apart from now not being stealthy quiet, the bike does everything better from my perspective. Handling, exhaust note, looks, power. I enjoy the bonuses in that order.
It is not just a matter of spending $350 for a USB. to optimize the PC, u need dyno time 2-3 hours that cost$$$$$$ and you need more importantly a guy who knows how to tune. A usb is pointless if you just plug and play and load up a map you think will work for your set-up, that scenario you are not ultilizing anything and you hope it works the map you upload into the bike., THE tuner is key! All tuners shold anyway the 1st thing they do is check your A/F ratio, this is a starting point, the a/f should be a straight line and for a busa should be in the 14.1-14.7 range A/f. -Cheers Duane
The question is there anyone around that can adjust the new k8 ECU with out a piggy back system on it ????
Hang I seem to remember Blackzook getting a dyno years ago & it came back with a map off the net, you really have to trust the Guy who's doing it.
Anyone had their dynotune yet?
Licence Back!
Hello all.

This is my first post as a new forum member. The information in this thread has been most interesting!

I am about to buy a 4-2-1 Yoshi r77, mainly for looks, sound and weight savings - the stock bike has plenty enough power for me. There appears to be two definte points of view on this thread. My question is that for touring and commuting, would installing a pcIII, O2 eliminator and a custom map be the best course of action OR would using the stock ECU with O2 sensor be sufficient?

Regards
I'd be tempted to say that for simple slip on replacement cans, no electrical adjustments are necessary.
For a full 4 into 1 system with an O2 sensor, you could probably try it and see how it goes and then if necessary add a PC later if you have to.
I don't think you will have to though.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
simmo Wrote:The question is there anyone around that can adjust the new k8 ECU with out a piggy back system on it ????

The above question is the most relevant. Someone may be dropping their K8 off to Wayne at Tuneboy on Tuesday. This bike will be his electrical test mule. Wayne thinks that he can crack the K8 within a month. The main problem will be the ignition key.

The K8 ECU has much greater data logging capacity Tuneboy will enable full tuning including ignition timing adjustments.

Why spend cash on a PC now when in a month or so (that is the time frame I have set) you will able to have FULL tuning adjustment on the STOCK ECU.
Stuka Wrote:Hello all.

This is my first post as a new forum member. The information in this thread has been most interesting!

I am about to buy a 4-2-1 Yoshi r77, mainly for looks, sound and weight savings - the stock bike has plenty enough power for me. There appears to be two definte points of view on this thread. My question is that for touring and commuting, would installing a pcIII, O2 eliminator and a custom map be the best course of action OR would using the stock ECU with O2 sensor be sufficient?

Regards

i am in the same boat as you, i am a daily rider of my k8 and I am running a full 4-2-1 aftermarket exhaust with no PC, the k8 runs beautifully
Changed the exhaust on a B-King and yosh box remapped, it was quite rich in some areas before the remap.
Good onya Bruce , nothing speeds up production like a good test vehicle .
Well I have fitted a PC3 & a wide band on Sunday, boy it has opened up a can of worms, the bike has been running very very lean even when using Tims PC3 dyno map with the same set up as mine.
I now have my double tinted sunglass off.Confused
how lean simmo? and were did u get the wideband from and how much was it? im interested in getting once for mine aswell
Regards

Dan
Simmo should I possibly be worried about that map?
Licence Back!