Excess payment when not at fault
Coffee2

My story is that I was hit from behind at a solid white line leaving a shopping centre. Got the details of the 3rd party (who admitted fault), made the claim, police report etc. Repairs have been approved but QBE want me to pay the policy excess ($500) to the repairer and then they will chase up the 3rd parties insurance to reimburse my $500 and whatever is outstanding to QBE.
Is this the standard process for not at fault claims or is QBE just coving their arse a little?
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
I have been in the same situation. I payed the $500 and never saw it again. I would tell QBE where to stick the $500 and get them to make the 3rd party pay up front or they are just going to have to wear the cost. Pi_freak Pi_thumbsdown Showback
Cheers Taub
[Image: Banner_blueandwhite2.jpg]
Sorry to hear about your bike

It's not uncommon for an insurer to request an excess payment regardless of who's at fault. Some do, some don't, it's another good reason to read the wording prior to taking out a policy Coffee As you are aware insurance is very price driven, but by saving $100 at renewal it could end up costing you a lot more if you ever have to lodge a claim.

Your excess will be refunded once QBE have recovered the cost of repairs to your bike. It all depends on who hit you. Don't hold your breath though, there's a lot of people out there that have no insurance, too lazy to lodge a claim, disappear off the face of the earth etc etc. You can always try to get the excess waived, the outcome will depend on how long you have been with the insurer, the total premium paid, any previous claims. There's definitely no harm in giving it a go. Ask QBE if they have contacted the third party and confirmed whether they have insurance, and if so, have they lodged a claim? If the third party does not have any damage to their vehicle chances are that they're waiting to hear what the estimate is to repair your bike prior to them lodging a claim, everybody's different though but at least you'll have an idea of what your chances are of seeing your $500 again.

If you end up having to pay your excess which unfortunately is the most likely outcome, find out the name of the claims officer at QBE that is responsible for recovering the damages to your bike and follow them up regularly.

good luck
Leviathan Wrote:Coffee2

My story is that I was hit from behind at a solid white line leaving a shopping centre. Got the details of the 3rd party (who admitted fault), made the claim, police report etc. Repairs have been approved but QBE want me to pay the policy excess ($500) to the repairer and then they will chase up the 3rd parties insurance to reimburse my $500 and whatever is outstanding to QBE.
Is this the standard process for not at fault claims or is QBE just coving their arse a little?

Dont FCUKIN accept especially if your policy is fully comprehensive and you have documented proof that the third party has admitted fault.On the other hand reading your policy booklet in detail would give you a clearer idea on how and if they are trying to make you chase things that you dont have to just to get away with the $500.You can also call anonimously(prospective customer) for a quote keeping in mind to give them IDENTICAL detalis as yours,same street/area than ask them what happens if you have an accident and you are not at fault,see how they respond to that.
Initally YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE that the call is being recorded and if the KEEN tel operator tells you that you dont have to pay or chase a cent than proceed with your qoute,get a number and than DO NOT HANG UP and ask for his supervisor and present your case again,only this time quote what the sales guy told you and that they are the ones who have to chase the money by their own recorded words.It happend lately to a friend and they had to eat humble pie.my 2c
Its normal practice. The only thing I found helped was making friends with a girl who was the assistant for one of the managers at RACV. She knew the insurance lingo for get stuffed and pay up.
[Image: bmr.gif]
G'day,

To update & finish off this thread the repairs have been completed Clap.

It took 6 weeks from start to finish and would have been longer if I had not chased up QBE and the assessor on several occasions. I had to agree to pay the $500 excess on completion of repairs to the bike shop otherwise QBE were not going to authorise the repairs.
QBE is now chasing "Blind Betty" for my $500 and their $650 ish (total repair cost approx $1150).
All I really care about though is that we are back on the road, hopefully the guys at work will now stop all the "getting it up the rear from a chick" jokes.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Ive never heard of this happening before. If you have comp and not your fault and have supplied faulty parties details the onus is entirely on the insurance company to recoup costs from the third party whether was insured or not. and should never have to pay excess, only when your at fault. I would say to QBE's supervisor, whilst you may have me over a barrel with my pants down, rest assured not only will I never be insuring with you ever again but I will let all my bike friends know of this and further my huge club that I belong to, if you dont end up losing at least $20.000+ of business then I deserve to be farked over by you!
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Well, after atleast one phone call per week for the last 2 months, multiple emails & choosing not to renew my QBE car policy - with only 2 weeks to go before my Busa policy is due for renewal QBE notified me that they had authorisation to refund my $500 excess.
They still haven't recieved a cent from the person that hit me, even though they have debt collectors & lawyers involved. Go figure....

They finally gave in and did a 180 turn on everything they've been telling me for the past 11 months. Chalk up another win for average Joe, but man it wasn't easy.
Photobucket

Leviathan Wrote:Well, after atleast one phone call per week for the last 2 months, multiple emails & choosing not to renew my QBE car policy - with only 2 weeks to go before my Busa policy is due for renewal QBE notified me that they had authorisation to refund my $500 excess.
They still haven't recieved a cent from the person that hit me, even though they have debt collectors & lawyers involved. Go figure....

They finally gave in and did a 180 turn on everything they've been telling me for the past 11 months. Chalk up another win for average Joe, but man it wasn't easy.

Great to hear you got the right thing done by you in the end.
Next question is Are you going to insure with QBE again?
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
^ Max, Not sure at the moment. QBE's new quote will have to be alot better than anyone elses for me to go with them again. Insuremyrides quote is the best at the moment + it is for an agreed value - not market value like most others. Just waiting for them to reply to a few questions - including policy for not at fault claims.
Photobucket

InsureMyRide just looked after me pretty well, had my bike towed and repaired to brand new condition without any input from me, immediately refunded the $400 excess I payed to the repairer to release the bike and gave me cash for my helmet.
SteveV Wrote:InsureMyRide just looked after me pretty well, had my bike towed and repaired to brand new condition without any input from me, immediately refunded the $400 excess I payed to the repairer to release the bike and gave me cash for my helmet.

Firstly, sorry to hear you needed to use them - but good to know they looked after you. They sound more rider friendly than QBE.
Photobucket