Carbon fiber exhausts
G'day, Below is an extract of an email from Yoshimura sales USA, it's in regards to general questions I asked on CF exhausts, just wondering if anyone has experienced this deterioration, especially the end caps comment from those with the R-77's. Any photos would be appreciated.

"Carbon is not UV resistant so those who leave their bikes outside will
see the carbon fade over time. The carbon endcaps especially have a
tendency to discolor due to the amount of heat coming out of the exhaust".

Regards.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Leviathan Wrote:G'day, Below is an extract of an email from Yoshimura sales USA, it's in regards to general questions I asked on CF exhausts, just wondering if anyone has experienced this deterioration, especially the end caps comment from those with the R-77's. Any photos would be appreciated.

"Carbon is not UV resistant so those who leave their bikes outside will
see the carbon fade over time. The carbon endcaps especially have a
tendency to discolor due to the amount of heat coming out of the exhaust".

Regards.
I was also told that if c/fibre parts which dont have that "new" gel coat finish the parts can/will turn into a milky finish.
Yes they will fade with time, but years not months. Dont get any undiluted degreaser on em either as it can strip the gel coat off & speed up the aging process. I armor-all my muffler regularly & found it helps, better still, park in the shade
Coffee2

Some more advice from Yoshimura

"The best way to take care of carbon fiber is using a product called Flitz, and put sun block on the carbon if its going to be left out in the sun to prevent it from drying
out."

FYI - replacement C/F end caps for the R-77 cans are $70 USD each (RRP).

Cheers
Troy
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
is this flitz stuff available in oz
they coat them with shit clear, scuff back and put a quality clear on [glasurit uv ]Pi_thumbsup
no polish will fix a bad product, all made for the $$$
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
(19-01-2012, 11:21pm)DAVE01 Wrote: they coat them with shit clear, scuff back and put a quality clear on [glasurit uv ]Pi_thumbsup
no polish will fix a bad product, all made for the $$$

+1. Heard the same from the Top Coat guys here. Good quality finish coat will prevent any UV damage just like to you paint. Alternatively buy Akrapovic products, they use the good stuff on their cans Pi_thumbsup Seen Jamie's end caps after 8 hours of endurance race on PI few weeks ago. Just wipe with WD 40 and they like new. You get what you pay for. Biker
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Have a full Yoshi system into single carbon fibre. Have kept mine polished with Mequires products. These are UV filtering to some extent and keeps it protected as well as looking good.

Around the tip end area can get a bit dirty with burnt fuel deposits - but wipe over with shelite, turps or isopropol alcohol, a cut if bad, or if really bad a light cut the old silvo and polish up again. You have to expect some heat scoring around where the metal and carbon fibre meet at the tip end.

15 months and 14K on - looking good, performing well and sounding great. Will have to see what its like in a couple of years admittedly.

There is no way I would ever spread any oil based product (albeit fish oil in the case of WD40) on my bike - just asking for trouble of the slippery kind.
A wipe over the carbon caps with regular sunscreen SPF30+ keeps them clear - Not while they are hot.

"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Sunscreen on ya bike Busgo........does it have annual check-ups at the Skin Cancer Clinic too? hahahahaha!!!!
You may think that I'm having a lend of you Craig, but I'm not. It works.
Just a natural barrier against UV rays and more effective than no protection.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO