top speed recording device
(17-09-2014, 05:05pm)draughtrider Wrote:
(16-09-2014, 07:38am)storm Wrote: Will be in the NT legally mostly lol

Tanami turn-off to just north of Barrow Creek isn't a lot (300 maybe?) - the rest is still 130 ...

Alice to Renner springs 200 kms unlimited speed trailzone now till Feb15
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

(17-09-2014, 06:37pm)storm Wrote:
(17-09-2014, 05:05pm)draughtrider Wrote:
(16-09-2014, 07:38am)storm Wrote: Will be in the NT legally mostly lol

Tanami turn-off to just north of Barrow Creek isn't a lot (300 maybe?) - the rest is still 130 ...

Alice to Renner springs 200 kms unlimited speed trailzone now till Feb15

The original stretch is ~200km, which starts about 20km north of Alice Springs just after the Tanami Highway turnoff and goes to Barrow Creek. There are a couple of slow points, eg Aileron. The NT Govt announced a new ~70km stretch from Barrow Creek to the Ali Curung Rail Overpass effective 1 September 2014 so total its around 270km.

It will be great when/if it extends to Renner Springs - that's over 650km from Alice.

If you are riding the current section, and giving it the berries, be aware that fuel stops are a fair way apart and you can't assume you will get anything better than Opal fuel ('unsniffable' standard unleaded) for various reasons. Alice to Aileron for example is about 135km which is "most of a tank" if you are the excitable type, and last I saw the premium pump there was broken.
The issues I faced in NT and WA is wind buffeting. Let's see how it goes

Sorry, but I don't get why you want to do this??

When I lived in Alice Springs it was all unlimited. We used to drive with the foot flat to the floor and used to ride with the throttle on the stopper, and fill up with petrol and beer at every stop to relieve the boredom. Of course that was before 'busa's. . . . Personally I think it would be boring as batshit to go out there just to ride the 'busa out to the limit. You'll get there in less than a minute . . . then what do you do?
It takes no skill to ride a bike on the limit on a long straight bitumen road. Give me some tight twisty knee scraping corners everytime.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(18-09-2014, 07:33pm)Ward P Wrote: Sorry, but I don't get why you want to do this??

each to their own ... it might have been common in years gone by, but riding fast legally is a rare thing these days. Lets hope it comes back ...

(18-09-2014, 07:33pm)Ward P Wrote: When I lived in Alice Springs ...

When you lived here what did you do for corners? because there's bugger all here now !! ;-) The ride to Ross River is ok, but gets twitchy if there's oncoming traffic on the single lane sections. Glen Helen is ok in parts. Either way, there's not much twist here, its the land of the chicken strips whether we like it or not ...
Doesn't the mighty busa get to top speed in under 1000 metres if pushed???

Or is the thrill holding it at that speed for time?

Storm was talking about top speed riding but then says he doesn't go above 8K rpm.... So I am now confused

I have hit 230 in 4th from memory under 500 metres with a 100kph starting speed. And yes wind buffering was a problem but only because my fat beer gut won't let me get below the slip stream lol
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
(18-09-2014, 07:33pm)Ward P Wrote: Sorry, but I don't get why you want to do this??

Personally I think it would be boring as batshit to go out there just to ride the 'busa out to the limit. You'll get there in less than a minute . . . then what do you do?
It takes no skill to ride a bike on the limit on a long straight bitumen road. Give me some tight twisty knee scraping corners everytime.

Tend to agree though it is fun to take her to the limit for few minutes to clean the injectors properly. Apart of fuel, the other problems are the tire wears three times as fast and the odd cows or roos wandering on the roadScary
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(18-09-2014, 10:27pm)Batfink Wrote: And yes wind buffering was a problem but only because my fat beer gut won't let me get below the slip stream lol

You are in good company ;-) I could tell a story about a certain car magazine and a not so photogenic 'busa rider ...

(18-09-2014, 11:31pm)Shifu Wrote: Apart of fuel, the other problems are the tire wears three times as fast and the odd cows or roos wandering on the roadScary

The even ones are just as dangerous. Add to those - camel, donkey, perentie, and large birds of prey, though I'd still take my chances with them than be on a busy road surrounded by cagers ...
I have ridden the NT, WA, SA a lit of places. I am just going to tour,and if I can pin it I do. The wind buffeting Tony ain't from the fairings. It's cross winds and they get pretty hairy.
Anyway we wi'll see how it all goes

G'day
To get back to the original question: a mate of mine has an app on his phone for snow skiing - records all kinds of stuff, among them is maximum speed...
Regards
kevin
Good onya Wardy for pointing out the speedometer app. Clap

Now one of us is going to get booked trying to get the big numbers .. Lol2

It is a pretty cool app. though .. Pi_thumbsup
Had mine checked the other week.
A bunch of time slips around 184mph and a best of 191.
The spedo was way off.
Bones
Watch for x winds esp if you go passed trees etc and the wind is concentrated or for whirlwinds
you have little chance of correction if blown off course and the faster you go the more offcourse it can be
i have been turned 10-15 deg by a gust , on the road 5 deg would be the end
(20-09-2014, 05:57am)Maj Wrote: Watch for x winds esp if you go passed trees etc and the wind is concentrated or for whirlwinds
you have little chance of correction if blown off course and the faster you go the more offcourse it can be
i have been turned 10-15 deg by a gust , on the road 5 deg would be the end

At last, the voice of reason. I have owned my 2010 Busa for 4 months now, and in that time I've been slowly increasing my speeds to see what she'll do. What has surprised me is for a bike that supposed to have been designed in a wind tunnel, how much it's affected by winds. The wind buffeting is by far the worst I've experienced on any bike I've ever owned. Between 200-240 it can be quite dangerous, and truth be known, I haven't been game to take it past that yet.
Does anyone agree with this or am I on my own??
Ps: the bikes I'm comparing it to include YZF600, FJ1200, old GSXR1100 etc.
I have been blown off the road on an offroad bike on the oddnadatta track at 100kph. On the Busa the best time to speed in the NT and WA is early morning before earth temp starts to warm up and windcurrents start. There is no sweetspot. Just relax and relax and ride at comfyspeeds.
the Busa is designed to slip against the wind while moving forward as speed increases wind becomes like soup. The area is huge and acts like a sail in x winds