Programmer, ECU Interface, Suzuki Hayabusa 02-07
BusAbuser Wrote:Hey,

Yes its straight forward using the serial interface as long as the RS232 is powered from an external source the VCC power from the ECU is not needed.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?f...D=14784871

the first picture has the connection removed from the RS 232 device but in the link its still connected. This is the correct way to hook up the ecm-

Correct -
http://macmadigan.no-ip.com/Public/ECU/F...rammer.JPG

In the below image you can see the top wire VCC is connected this is WRONG

NOT Correct-
http://www.bikeland.info/petrik/FDT/haya...rammer.JPG

Cheers

Shane

Thats the best news Ive heard all day, thanks Shane.
If youre a bit of a guru can you tell me if it matters whether the USB D+ goes on to the Rx or Tx on the TTL Converter input from the PC?

I am in the middle of making up my interface and I am not sure which way around to have the D+ and D- from the PC.
There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer
Hey Mate,

Yeah I havent messed with a USB interface. I have only played with the serial connection. The TTL TX/RX signal works only one way.

Id have to check the schematics they are using for the USB but that doesnt sound right... I wouldnt shove 5v VCC down a TTL TX or RX

Do you have a web link you are using for the schematic and I can take a look for you?

Cheers

Shane
EDIT

I have had a quick look on the Petrick site and the USB interface does use a USB to TTL converter then it is soldered into a 4 Pole switch. the 5V VCC from pin 48 on the ECU is to POWER a serial device as well as to turn on FWE (pin 32 Firmware Enable).

From -

http://robert-depot.blogspot.com/2008/01...ed-to.html

pin-X
color
value
connects to

black
GND
"G"

brown
CTS#

red
VCC

orange
TxD
"R"

yellow
RxD
"T"

green
RTS#

You may have to highlight the yellow text above but it looks like the USB to TTL cables share a color code from ftdichip.

Cheers

Shane
Hey Guys,

I just flashed a modified unified fuel and spark map to the bike I created with Petriks program "hayabusa ecu-editor".

From a garage test it appears fine. Ill test it on monday Knuppel2

This has removed the need for a TRE for adding timing to first and second etc...Seeing I run short stacks the tuning "should" be easier.

This is the real deal for those of you who are turbo or land speed racers with a 2002 - 2007 bike goodbye power commander !

Cheers

Shane
BusAbuser Wrote:Hey Mate,

Yeah I havent messed with a USB interface. I have only played with the serial connection. The TTL TX/RX signal works only one way.

Id have to check the schematics they are using for the USB but that doesnt sound right... I wouldnt shove 5v VCC down a TTL TX or RX

Do you have a web link you are using for the schematic and I can take a look for you?

Cheers

Shane

My question is how do the Yellow Rx and Orange Tx relate to my Green and White USB cable data wires. I f there was a pinout reference to USB as Rx and Tx I would be ok but I cant find one.

Wikipedia lists USB pinout as

1 VCC Red +5V
2 D− White Data − (Is this TX or RX?)
3 D+ Green Data + (Is this TX or RX?)
4 GND Black Ground
Hey HD,

You are referring to a USB connector not to a USB to TTL connector like this-

USB to TTL Converter

It converts the USB signal with a USB driver and a FT232RQ chip to a TTL 5v level output.

What you are referring to a USB connector I/O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USB.svg

This does NOT work with the Petrik setup I dont want to see you smoke it... you need a USB to TTL converter connected to the 4 pole 3 way switch.

Go Here and click step 3 it shows the USB to TTL bit your missing-

Petrik USB Interface

Cheers

Shane
I have a TTL converter as per pic below. I have the switch and am working from the same diagram as you have posted.

The basics as I understand it are - usb from computer to TTL converter, Converter to switch then to gauge or reflash outputs as designated by switch

Hey HD,

Yes the bit missing before was the TTL bit, BUT!

That diagram looks like a comm port distance extender it has nothing to do with USB? It says line driver as marked? A line driver wont work unless you are removing the max232 for a serial TTL connector.

There is the old rs232 to TTL schematic on the forum I used.

http://www.bikeland.info/petrik/FDT/max232converter.jpg

All my link means is that instead of USB you use a serial port.

Jaycar have the Max232ACPE chip and caps/bits required.

I'd be VERY careful about the schematics/devices you use to try and flash the ECU.

So it come down to either you get a proper USB to TTL 5v
or a RS232 to TTL 5v device or you WILL kill the ECU and/or you computer.

I have linked you to the correct USB device/schematic and the correct serial schematic.

So there you have it Very Happy

Cheers

Shane
Thanks Shane I will cetainly make sure I have the right gizmo before I plug it into my ECU.
The usb-232r converter doesn't need the max232 as its already in the usb end of the cable from what i can see, (electronics not my strong point )
i just reordered one from Greg Smith to try and connect to a 1k using the RomRaider software .
Had one ordered before but canceled when the tuneboy stuff arrived for testing, and don't realy want to use both tuneboy and ecu editor on the one ecu as they work in a different way.i'm told there will be no conflict issues like you can get with the various Buell reflashers but i can't see any point in complicating things.
Hey Maj,

Thats not correct the USB device needs to be a "USB to TTL 5v" not a "USB to RS232r" as that would be used as a standard USB to serial port converter this will not work as a serial port requires a max232 to get the signal to 5v TTL. (0v & 5v nominal TTL signal to –12v & 12v RS232 serial signal.) I can smell smoke Very Happy

You are correct about the max232 chip it doesnt need it and from the Petrik instruction it is not required for a usb interface.

There is only 2 ways to connect a computer to the ECU at this stage.

Either a serial port with the Serial to TTL 5v OR the USB port to TTL 5v

Best way forward is just build or buy the correct interface from Petrik schematics and using Petriks software with/or FDT on its own with enginuity if you are using this for a busa.

I got all 3 of them installed and they work fine when used seperately.

Or using the other ROMRaider software for a 1K.

Cheers

Shane
Ok thanks Shane,
i'll just get the built cable and switchbox from Greg, that way i can't Fxxx It up .
Hey Maj,

Yeah I dont mean to come across hard but I dont want to see guys smoke thier ECU's with the wrong cable ! Undecided

You can use that cable with Petriks or Enginuity it works fine Very Happy

Wish you the best with your tuning guys !

Cheers

Shane
Ok now i'm confused just looked at the cable i brought in july from ftdi chip ,but had no time to do anything with and on the packet it reads
TTL-232R usb to ttl serial cable(5.0v)

also i would rather be picked up for posting something inaccurately than have someone use poor info ;)
Maj Wrote:Ok now i'm confused just looked at the cable i brought in july from ftdi chip ,but had no time to do anything with and on the packet it reads
TTL-232R usb to ttl serial cable(5.0v)

also i would rather be picked up for posting something inaccurately than have someone use poor info ;)

That is the cable that is linked from the activeboard site and is the one that I am/was about to order.Confused

Why cant we buy the cables in Australia god damn it!