Gen II oil changes
Please don't start laughing and make rude comments, but are there any unforseen things with oil changes on the Busa?

I plan to do them at home (at half service intervals). Basically does the fairing cause trouble?

Can't seem to find a "how to" at the regular diy section but such a ten point routine specifically dealing with oil changes would be very helpful.

I have done heaps of these before but the question is, are there any surprises on the Hayabusa?
It's done 2000km now and "they" say a second change of oil at this point is a very good thng to do. I also plan to go synthetic AMSOIL (or MC Mobil 1) too.
No doubt there will be various opinions on THAT!
Lets hear them...!
The worst thing about the Gen2: The Fairing.
Apart from all the goody 2 shoes step by step guides, the best thing to do is prevent it from busting in the first place. Get yourself some Devcon 2 part plastic steel stuff in the double syringe type packet before you take it off, then where the plastic spigot mounts join the fairing, give it a plastic welding beef up job because Suzuki went el-cheapo with their plastic moulds in the first place. And bung a bit of grease in the rubber grummets. It may seem OK at first, but give or take a few "on & offs" sooner or later they'll break.Coolsmiley
http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...p?tid=8614
(17-04-2010, 12:29pm)GRUNTMAX Wrote: The worst thing about the Gen2: The Fairing.
Apart from all the goody 2 shoes step by step guides, the best thing to do is prevent it from busting in the first place. Get yourself some Devcon 2 part plastic steel stuff in the double syringe type packet before you take it off, then where the plastic spigot mounts join the fairing, give it a plastic welding beef up job because Suzuki went el-cheapo with their plastic moulds in the first place. And bung a bit of grease in the rubber grummets. It may seem OK at first, but give or take a few "on & offs" sooner or later they'll break.Coolsmiley
http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...p?tid=8614
Thanks GM, that's exactly the kind of insight I NEED to have if I am to keep the thing in top shape.
FP
You don't have to change the oil filter at every oil change, negating sometimes the removal of the right hand fairing panel for oil filter replacement. I take it you know that you have access to the sump plug underneath, without any fairing removal.You will require a new collapsible sump plug seal to replace the old one (the old seal is horrible to remove!). Suzuki recommends to use only mineral oil for the Hayabusa and from what I've heard around, if you would like to change to full synthetic, it would be better done at around 50,000 klm's. A Suzuki dealership that I know of, uses Motul mineral and semi-synthetic oils on their clients bikes. I've used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil on my Gen 1 and it is without a doubt a very good oil, the only problem I baulk at is the price! As the saying goes,"you get what you pay for," but sometimes you don't need to go that exotic!
The oil change itself is straight forward. This link will help with the plastics, thanks to our pals at the Hayabusa.org

Gen 2 Hayabusa Fairing Tutorial Vids
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
(17-04-2010, 10:42am)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Please don't start laughing and make rude comments, but are there any unforseen things with oil changes on the Busa?

I plan to do them at home (at half service intervals). Basically does the fairing cause trouble?

Can't seem to find a "how to" at the regular diy section but such a ten point routine specifically dealing with oil changes would be very helpful.

I have done heaps of these before but the question is, are there any surprises on the Hayabusa?
It's done 2000km now and "they" say a second change of oil at this point is a very good thng to do. I also plan to go synthetic AMSOIL (or MC Mobil 1) too.
Lets hear them...!
G,day mate. Fairly straight forward without any surprises. IMO leave the current oil in there until 6000 kms and then run synthetic. I run Mobil one 15/50. Halving the intervals is simply throwing money away however do replace the filter every change. Have a blast! Paul.Very Happy
(17-04-2010, 10:42am)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Please don't start laughing and make rude comments, but are there any unforseen things with oil changes on the Busa?

Lets hear them...!

I have been advised to "ALWAYS" put a new crush washer on when you remove the sump plug other wise they tell me you could strip the tread and then its a drama to fix. I am sure there are a couple of posts on this site where guys have had it happen to them. I always replace it as prevention is better than cure.