Adjust the back brake.
(28-08-2011, 12:02pm)TheShredder Wrote:
(28-08-2011, 09:32am)RyanG Wrote: Is it a common problem that the back brakes feel "woody"?

Mine have almost no feel and really don't feel like they are doing much.... Do you have any suggestions to help improve it?

Learn to ride without them Pi_thumbsup
ony use when pulled up at lights & slow riding

It is mainly when I'm lazy and pulling up to lights etc, unfortunately for me I have/had been riding quads for years and used to use the rear brake alot into and out of corners, old habits die hard I suppose...

I don't generally use them in the twisties, but I honestly think if it is fitted to the bike why not have it work and work well... My main problem is there is no real "feel" to the pedal.
(28-08-2011, 01:27pm)pan Wrote: ...and useful in high speed cornering... Superbike School will tell you not to touch them, but Stay Upright showed me how "touching" them when cranked over at speed can actually assist you in tipping-in a little further and take off speed, whereas touching the front will make the bike sit upright...

I'm not suggesting you all do it, but it works for me. Try it (at lower speed) and you'll see what they mean...
I also use the rear brake for the same reasons Pi_thumbsup

"If you're going through hell, keep going"
Mine is the same as ryans. No feel. Moves abOut 10mm. And feels like it does nothing. I can't make the back tyre lock up!
/
(28-08-2011, 04:04pm)DAVE01 Wrote:
(28-08-2011, 01:27pm)pan Wrote: ...and useful in high speed cornering... Superbike School will tell you not to touch them, but Stay Upright showed me how "touching" them when cranked over at speed can actually assist you in tipping-in a little further and take off speed, whereas touching the front will make the bike sit upright...

I'm not suggesting you all do it, but it works for me. Try it (at lower speed) and you'll see what they mean...
I also use the rear brake for the same reasons Pi_thumbsup

+ 1 Pi_thumbsup I agree, for me sometimes a light tap on the back brake upsets the bike less at full lean than backing off the throttle or touching the front, especially if the corner tightens unexpectedly. And this is when when I don't want the free play. Untill I ran the old girl out of rear brake once(that's another story) I wasn't aware how much I used it. I thought I only used the front, but when it wasn't there, found that I touched the rear everytime I touched the front. (maybe I have a honda brain? Idiot2 )

The brake feels and works fine, not wooden, it just has free play. I'll try the weight when I get back home.

Meat and potatoes, meat and potatoes !
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(28-08-2011, 04:57pm)[UNIT] Wrote: I can't make the back tyre lock up!
something must be wrong mate because mine will easily lock the rear tyre.
The front brake is about 80% of you're stopping power.

Wardy I would try bleeding the rear brake line thoroughly with new fluid and check the pads whilst at it.
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
(28-08-2011, 06:11pm)DAVE01 Wrote:

Wardy I would try bleeding the rear brake line thoroughly with new fluid and check the pads whilst at it.

fluids only 12 1/2 years old, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(28-08-2011, 06:11pm)DAVE01 Wrote:

+1 Pi_thumbsup Just a touch and you can feel you arse going sideways. Good for some adrenalline rush but wouldn't touch them in a turn Scary
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Get some braided lines from Pashnit or other supplier and feel the difference, even on the rear brake. Both brakes are for using, not just for stopping!
Government certified carpet muncherDrool

+1 Pi_thumbsup I also agree with Pan I think a lot of people under estimate how good the rear brake can be when being used through corners at high speed or even low speeds for that matter.

As Pan mentions it helps you tip the bike, when you apply (don't dab) the rear brake it pulls the arse end down which in turn pulls the bike in tighter to the corner but as some have mentioned don't just touch them you need to apply them like your dragging them. I did some riding schools with the boys in blue years ago and was one of the best things that they showed you.

Try it, it really does work and very well.