Quick turn throttle kit
I was considering the common throttle mod using a R1 or R6 throttle tube as due to nerve damage and restricted motion in my hand and arm the OEM throttle requires more movement to WOT than I am capable of.

I was purchasing a little collection of bits from Schnitz Racing and saw their Quick Turn Throttle Kit. It was $34.95 and came with new grips so I thought I'd get that rather than a Yamaha part.

Fitted it last night and rode to work and back with it today.
Very impressed with it. It is a direct replacement and does not require any modification for fitment. Quicker action, 20% according to product specs, faster but still very controllable. In fact the shorter and slightly heavier action allowed me better control and smoothness than the OEM throttle.(possibly specific to my hand and arm issue).

And can now get WOT.YesLol3

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just looked it up, they want $39.95 postage.Frown
(27-07-2013, 10:09pm)mozzie26 Wrote: Just looked it up, they want $39.95 postage.Frown

Yeah, I try to buy in Australia whenever possible, but when I do buy from US based stores I wait until there are a few things I want so I can make the freight worth it.
(27-07-2013, 10:23pm)Kendo Wrote:
(27-07-2013, 10:09pm)mozzie26 Wrote: Just looked it up, they want $39.95 postage.Frown

Yeah, I try to buy in Australia whenever possible, but when I do buy from US based stores I wait until there are a few things I want so I can make the freight worth it.

Yeah I looked at there site but could not find any thing else I need. Five quick throttle kits are only $44.10 postage. Looks like a good product.
Group buy ??
Count me in!
I'll have one for sure, maybe two for 1999.
(Pan, does my track bike have one of these already?)
Let me know how best to go about a group buy?
Rob
(28-07-2013, 06:36am)mozza24 Wrote: Group buy ??
Glen +1
i bought a 1/4 turn throttle from ebay for mine ,i used the kx450 kwaka tube ,this was 8 months ago ,cost was $16 included post
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
cant agree more how much better it is, but I found cable play can get a bit annoying sometimes, especially if you ride the bike a lot.
(28-07-2013, 12:21pm)BikerBoy Wrote: cant agree more how much better it is, but I found cable play can get a bit annoying sometimes, especially if you ride the bike a lot.

I ride just about every day, what was the issue with cable play that you found annoying?
Stock busa is 1/4 turn R1 is 1/5 and R6 is 1/ 6. The R6 mod is really easy to install. The problem with the R6 mod is finding the tube, like rocking horse poop the r1 tube is easy to find
Turbo ZX7 for the street Biker
Busa for the drags Trophy
(28-07-2013, 08:25pm)yella Wrote: Stock busa is 1/4 turn R1 is 1/5 and R6 is 1/ 6. The R6 mod is really easy to install. The problem with the R6 mod is finding the tube, like rocking horse poop the r1 tube is easy to find
mine is must less of a twist from stock then, lolScary

every take off is done with the smallest movement of the right wristScary
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
(28-07-2013, 07:33pm)Kendo Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 12:21pm)BikerBoy Wrote: cant agree more how much better it is, but I found cable play can get a bit annoying sometimes, especially if you ride the bike a lot.

I ride just about every day, what was the issue with cable play that you found annoying?

Not sure how to best describe it, but for example when starting out at the lights, you open the throttle and it takes a few degrees of turn first before anything happens, but on the other end of things under a WOT, when I back off it still stays wide open for another second. I can't get rid of it. It would just be my cable stretched a bit from the extra tension the throttle puts on it, but adjusting the play fixes it temporarily and then a week or two later it's got excessive play again. Makes navigating traffic while lane splitting fun!! - I've done 55,000k's with the quick action installed on mine, but had awesome control and no issues for at least a good 30,000k's of that.

It's just wear and tear Kendo, but once it starts it gets annoying.
(28-07-2013, 08:46pm)BikerBoy Wrote:

Not sure how to best describe it, but for example when starting out at the lights, you open the throttle and it takes a few degrees of turn first before anything happens, but on the other end of things under a WOT, when I back off it still stays wide open for another second. I can't get rid of it. It would just be my cable stretched a bit from the extra tension the throttle puts on it, but adjusting the play fixes it temporarily and then a week or two later it's got excessive play again. Makes navigating traffic while lane splitting fun!! - I've done 55,000k's with the quick action installed on mine, but had awesome control and no issues for at least a good 30,000k's of that.

What you say makes sense BikerBoy, by installing the QAT you have changed the leverage ratio between the throttle tube and the throttle pulley. So now the opening cable will action faster for a given movement at the throttle tube, but as the throttle pulley's cam profile hasn't changed, theoretically the closing cable has lost a small percentage of it's leverage in comparison to the opening cable.
Add a little extra cable stretch because they now work under slightly more tension and there you have it.
Be interesting to see if this affects Gen 1's different to Gen 2's.
Guess I'll see how it goes in time.
(28-07-2013, 10:08pm)Kendo Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 08:46pm)BikerBoy Wrote:

What you say makes sense BikerBoy, by installing the QAT you have changed the leverage ratio between the throttle tube and the throttle pulley. So now the opening cable will action faster for a given movement at the throttle tube, but as the throttle pulley's cam profile hasn't changed, theoretically the closing cable has lost a small percentage of it's leverage in comparison to the opening cable.
Add a little extra cable stretch because they now work under slightly more tension and there you have it.
Be interesting to see if this affects Gen 1's different to Gen 2's.
Guess I'll see how it goes in time.

Kendo, with out seeing this specific QAT, I am unsure how you can speed up response without having a larger cam on your throttle tube. NB: I have not pulled a Busa throttle assy apart YET.
Since I need plates to strap the front down I may as well buy the QAT as well.
BTW, even @ $80 inc freight for the throttle alone is still cheap I think Very Happy.
[Image: fc9450cb-86fb-4774-a1ac-5a6bb7a02823.jpg]