Cam Chain annoyance!!!!!
I,ll officially spill the beans.Andys cam chain was stretched no debate.I didn,t hear hear his bike.However andy and myself have metal tank pads instead of the plastic ones.These are the only busas i know of with these.These sit on the frame and make a hell of a racket that you can hear with ear plugs on inside a helmet around the 4-5000 rev mark.My dad and i discovered this on my bike by pushing the tank left to right which altered the sound.As col from 10/10ths mentioned this noise was on both sides of the bike.This problem was mentioned to andys workshop and wear marks were discovered on the frame from the tank pads whilst the bike was apart.To their credit this was told in confidence to them and they still mentioned it to andy as knowing the cam chain was f****d their conscience was clear.A bit of double sided tape later and the noise was gone.Perhaps we could of told them after the bike was fixed and still rattling to make them sweat but there good guys and the linking of the 2 issues just hit me one day so no timing of the answer was deliberate.Unfortunately this problem did expose a few things people can make their own judgements on.I hope myself to learn from all this.From a handyman/engineering background i always try to look for the simple solutions first and work towards the dearer ones second,not the other way round. Glenn the Spa Man<i></i>
One can only presume that at some stage when this noise was being investigated some one would surely have ran the bike with the tank Up This would if my understanding is correct have eliminated any noise made by the alloy pads on the rails ? But as it has been stated ................ the cam chain was unserviceable also, so one may then assume that there were in fact TWO noises present. One being the noise caused by the cam chain having excessive slack and the other by the shitty frame stress fracture causing "bling bits" tapping out there stacatto tune on the frame rails
If the noise changed once the tank was lifted but still a noise present it may be fair and reasonable to assume that one could think this may be due to the echo effect with tank being down what was causing this change to the noise. So one then goes and investigates and repairs the said cam chain.
Now that the cam chain is all fixed and repaired low and behold the other noise now becomes more evident still, due to there now being no other noise to mask it. Hence it now stands out like the proverbial dogs balls, and would certianly not even be there if the bike was ran with the tank up making it pretty easy to track to the source of the problem. Shitty bling bits
In the diagnosis of noises this is a common problem, as always the most prominent noise will be the one that is searched and seeked out, but as it is found and rectified then the lesser noise then becomes the prominent one and so the cycle goes. Like all situations such as this, in the light of day when all is known, it's very easy to make conclusions ................ as they say hind sight is a wonderfull thing.
My deduction from this would not be that this has been a matter of fixing the dearer ones first and the lesser ones second. More so a case of repair the obvious noise first, then if more problems are found then rectify them also as they are found.
When chasing a problem, one cannot ignore an obvious problem and go of seeking another probem when one allready knows there is an obvious fault there
The good part is it's all fixed and problem solved, Kudo's to all that helped in the outcome. It's confirmed to me something I was allready aware of ............. don't fit shitty "bling' bits no matter how good they look if it's detrimental (rubbing frame rails) to the operation or safety of the bike. Apart from these alloy tank pads creating stress points in the frame (and who knows how deep they would wear given time) they certianly complicated things in this situation. A good example of this would be the rear disc rotors with the word Hayabusa laser cut in them. Would you fit a rear disc that had a 8 inch slot cut around it ? and then wonder why it warped when used ?
Credit to the manufacturer of these in the states mind you that stated these were for "show" bikes and not suitable for those ridden due to as stated above
Ride and enjoy Andy ya babys back
FF1 <i>Edited by: fasterfaster1 at: 31/5/06 7:12 am
</i>
Futher developments

Just inspected cam chain timing and positions and all were perfect
Cam Chain has not jumped any teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sight inspected valves and pistons on intake valves and all were ok

oil level was ok and I was told the oil was not ok

we are still giving no2 a full inspection to make sure it is ok as valve clearance was slightly out and compression lower than others but not drastically.....

Possibly get it back middle of next week if all runs well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cam timing isnt perfect wrt timing marks when your cam chain if RS.

So would it be fair to say the motor ran fine , although the tank pad(s) created all this "who ahhhh" <i>Edited by: Gazza414 at: 31/5/06 2:54 pm
</i>
The tank pads came with a clear plastic covering that we both peeled off.A couple of washers under the tank bolts would have also fixed the problem.I think the noise from these pads would have been the noise first noticed and if the tank was lifted then i assume the cam chains possible noise would have been investigated potentially at the same rev range as all busas seem to vibrate at those revs.Chasing a vibration or rattle is always tricky and people tend to go on past experience i suppose,except no one else but me has metal tank pads.Dads got none at all,maybe thats better? <i></i>
The Cam Chain Marks, were ok then, not pefect!!!

Cam chain was Bad was about 10 mm longer than a new one!!!!! it was what you would say ROOTED!!!!!!!It ( Cam Chain ) was Making the noise, it was mechanical, not rubbing tank pads ....... and I have absolutely no problems with that !!!!

The Cam chain was Very Noisy and is now silent !!!!

what I meant about timing being, perfect was that it HAD NOT jumped any teeth!!!! and I said in earlier posts it needed adjustment!!!!!

Ok I didnt really notice the Vibration of the billet Pads but I was told it was doing it , (maybe Spamans was worse than mine)......and you can just see slight Rub marks!! Still I think it didnt need to have the motor out to fix this problem or the cam chain !!!!! hmmmm??? And I was told it was hitting the exhaust valves and that was just not true!!! ( excuse the terminology... if I incorrectly, in any way am untechnical in my terminology)

Overall I am now very happy with the bike and My friend did an excellent job of welding the cluch in exact position so I didnt need heavier springs or shims, he is an excellent engineer and an off road bike Freak and Knew exactly what I wanted and how to achieve it!!! he saw the clutch mod picture, posted on this site and said it was not done correctly!!!

I am really over it now and I do not want to bag anyone anymore but I feel that I was treated badly and luckily for my Mechanics they fixed the problem for me and got me out of, basically, being taken to the cleaners!!!!!

I am going to the drags tonight weather permitting and we will see about that top speed!!!

P.S I Love my BLING BITS !!!!!

Blue Thunder!!!!

Andrew :)

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 31/5/06 4:22 pm
</i>
Hope the freak did a good job.
Welding the clutch was great. I remember it took 0.5 seconds off my time (or at least gave me the confidence to do so )

Let us know about that top speed people all want to know about, but also about how those 60 footers go... <i></i>
Quote:I do not want to bag anyone anymore

I dont think you bagged anyonre Andy. It sounded like you just explained what happened to you. Cheers,
Kawasuki<i></i>
No more excuses andy.Sub 2.0 60 ft and sub 10.5 each run or you can,t ride. <i></i>
Did you go out Andy?

What's your verdict?
<i></i>
Sub 140mph just like i said.Give him time to prove me wrong.Simmos cracking 140 now just not the 142+ andy WAS getting.Looks like the bus likes retarded cam timing. <i></i>
SSSSSHHHHHHH !! Cheers,
Kawasuki<i></i>
Sorry Guys

It has taken me a while to reply but I have been moving out of the shop I was in for the last 21 years!!!!

I went wednesday night and was pretty tired because I had woken at 2.30am and was at the shop at 4 am so I started with a 10.8 doing everything wrong as I was pretty rusty!! Short changing every gear and I thought the shift light was broken but it was just me!!!!

Second run was my best!!! against Simmo and I did a :

R/T.... .316

60'.... 2.054

330'.... 4.784

660'.... 6.972

mph.... 112.50

1000'.... 8.858

ET .... 10.472

MPH .... 139.24

K/mh .... 224.09

Simmo did a 10.518 so it was a good race!!

my second last run....I lit up the rear and thought I was going to throw the bike aaarrrggghhhh to many revs.....

4th and last was a 10.6 and I had had enough as I knew being so sleep deprived and the total waste of time!!!!..... burnouts were on , I went home!! It was such a slow night with too many stopages and pesky cars...

Overall I am very happy with the bike and really I think It is capable of going alot faster than this!!!

Gear changes are fantastic just a bit different in launch so I will have to get used to that!!!!!!

The 10.4 run!!!

Blue Thunder!!!!

Andrew :)

Blue and Silver Bling the Best thing!!!!!<i>Edited by: andycool&nbsp; at: 3/6/06 5:30 pm
</i>
Quote:The 10.4 run!!! not bad for a Busa that needed the motor out!!

Now thats odd........................... Cheers,
Kawasuki<i></i>
odd?
i don't get what all this is about. i think this thread is odd?

who is having a go at who? Dorothy

Red and Black flash across I70<i></i>
long story dont worry about it Dorothy. <i></i>