High pitched noise in fuel tank
A bit of advice from an old hand... For GEN 1 hayabusas you should run lower octane fuel in the heat of summer due to vaporization of the higher octane. Especially owners of the models with external fuel pumps.
This may have no relevance at all to the noisy GEN II fuel pumps but there may be a connection and it wouldn't hurt to put some lower octane fuel in to see what happens.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
(20-10-2012, 08:37am)President Wrote: Hey guys. Bought my K9 Busa new and its been faultless. Recently though it has developed this strange high pitched whining sound that is coming from within the fuel tank. Engine starts fine but the sound appears about a second later. It disappears after about 15 minutes of riding and doesn't reappear till next morning when cold again. No problems with power or startup. Can you tell me what's in there (fuel pump?) that could be responsible and is it hard to replace? Have lifted the tank on its prop and the noise is clearly inside the tank.

Mine has just starting doing exactly what you have describe two weeks ago, I have a 2010 and I have just over 40 000km and the noise has just started. I have been concerned about it as well. I did a race day on Sunday and didn't have any problems at all with how the bike handled, but not happy with the noise. Can you let me know what they diagnosis yours with please.
Rosebusa
Your fuel filter/regulator is blocked and needs replacing.

What is happening to your bike(s) now is, the internal parts of the fuel pump are working harder to get fuel through the blocked filter causing them to wear prematurely and break apart on a microscopic level. This is putting high traces of metal particles (mostly copper and zinc) through your fuel system, reacting with the petrol and degrading it. Soon you will have a loss of power and struggle to get past aprox 7000rpm. It only took mine 2 weeks to get to that point from the moment I heard the whining noise......but I ride about 800k's per week, so it happened quickly.

I've now had multiple GenII fuel pumps and filters lab tested. All tests came back showing the same results as mentioned above, and I also posted the data from one lab test in another thread.

Keep your eyes on Ebay for a second hand low k's assembly and change them over yourself as it's a simple job.
I got mine for $160 complete (pump/filter/float etc....). Brand new will cost you around $800 for parts alone. No matter what....it needs to be done.
i have ridden mine close to 7700 kms in about 7 days with the turbo whine.no loss of power as yet.hmmm.well suzuki can give me a new one as the bike is less that a month old!
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

Buy louder pipes. Noise goes away!
(25-01-2013, 11:20am)pan Wrote: Buy louder pipes. Noise goes away!

just got hotbodies slash cut. add ear plugs to the equation. NO ISSUES/WORRIES!

(24-01-2013, 10:49pm)BikerBoy Wrote: Your fuel filter/regulator is blocked and needs replacing.

What is happening to your bike(s) now is, the internal parts of the fuel pump are working harder to get fuel through the blocked filter causing them to wear prematurely and break apart on a microscopic level. This is putting high traces of metal particles (mostly copper and zinc) through your fuel system, reacting with the petrol and degrading it. Soon you will have a loss of power and struggle to get past aprox 7000rpm. It only took mine 2 weeks to get to that point from the moment I heard the whining noise......but I ride about 800k's per week, so it happened quickly.

I've now had multiple GenII fuel pumps and filters lab tested. All tests came back showing the same results as mentioned above, and I also posted the data from one lab test in another thread.

Keep your eyes on Ebay for a second hand low k's assembly and change them over yourself as it's a simple job.
I got mine for $160 complete (pump/filter/float etc....). Brand new will cost you around $800 for parts alone. No matter what....it needs to be done.

Thank you so much for the information, will do some searching this morning. Will try and find the lab test in another thread.
Rosebusa
Flow test would confirm any blockage, sometimes the regulators are just noisy sort of like the old gum leaf in the palm gazoo
here's the link Rose to the thrread with one of the lab tests.
(now deleted....request only)

Just so you know, retail petrol does not contain ANY copper, and high traces were found in all tests from the bikes filters.
(26-01-2013, 10:08am)BikerBoy Wrote: here's the link Rose to the thrread with one of the lab tests.

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...?tid=19591

and here is also a comparison of 2 filters against fuel samples from the lab.

Just so you know, retail petrol does not contain ANY copper, and high traces were found in all tests from the bikes filters.

Bikerboy I owe you the biggest hug, thank you, thank you, check this out. Went to suzuki store today and asked a mechanic to have a listen, he reported just keep running. Asked loads of questions and especially about the primary filter. Guess what non in stock.... bloody west Oz.... anyway that said it may not be that. Hubby spent this afternoon pulling it apart and wow the filter is ... well... the picture says it all. Bike is staying pulled apart now till we can order it on Tuesday and will be in later Frown. when we get it, will put it back together and see how we go. Was quoted $900 for a new fuel pump Scary yeeks, he even offered me a stool before he gave me the price. will start with the filter an go from there. Thanks you so much again for heads up.Clap
Oh, just want to add, after reading your other posts that sent me.... thank you kindly... what the hell is in our fuel, I have only every used Octane, not good to see this so bad in a 2010 Busa.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rosebusa
your welcome. going buy the looks of your pickup filter...your main filter will be looking just as good inside.
best to replace the pickup & main filters, plus the rubber grommet and o-rings - about $300 in parts.

or as I did and if you can wait the delivery time....doing it the ebay way saved me a lot of money, and my one has been doing fine for over 20,000k's so far. There is a couple of complete assemblies on there at the moment that are worth looking at.
Will Suzuki do it under warranty?

(26-01-2013, 11:49pm)storm Wrote: Will Suzuki do it under warranty?

in your case.....maybe, but they'll say no at first. You'll need to arm yourself with the lab results and info I've provided and make sure you give them a solid argument. Your Busa is waaaaaay too new to be doing this!!!!. Problems like this should not start to occur until around the 40k mark. If I was in your position I wouldn't take No for an answer, give them a copy of the lab test data and then if they still say No....i'd be asking for the reason why IN WRITING.

See how you go, and no harm in trying.
(26-01-2013, 10:07pm)BikerBoy Wrote: your welcome. going buy the looks of your pickup filter...your main filter will be looking just as good inside.
best to replace the pickup & main filters, plus the rubber grommet and o-rings - about $300 in parts.

or as I did and if you can wait the delivery time....doing it the ebay way saved me a lot of money, and my one has been doing fine for over 20,000k's so far. There is a couple of complete assemblies on there at the moment that are worth looking at.

Will order the other parts, I don't use ebay, had an account hacked into and lost over $2,500, so no faith in that. Thanks so much again.

Storm, with the warranty I asked that question and that said it wouldn't come under my Suzuki warranty, but in your case with such a new bike I would argue the point.
Rosebusa
Thanks will talk to the dealer.now I have to ride back to NSW.what a life! Lolll