Quick turn throttle kit
(29-07-2013, 10:55am)Zrex1200 Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 10:08pm)Kendo Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 08:46pm)BikerBoy Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 07:33pm)Kendo Wrote:
(28-07-2013, 12:21pm)BikerBoy Wrote: cant agree more how much better it is, but I found cable play can get a bit annoying sometimes, especially if you ride the bike a lot.

I ride just about every day, what was the issue with cable play that you found annoying?

Not sure how to best describe it, but for example when starting out at the lights, you open the throttle and it takes a few degrees of turn first before anything happens, but on the other end of things under a WOT, when I back off it still stays wide open for another second. I can't get rid of it. It would just be my cable stretched a bit from the extra tension the throttle puts on it, but adjusting the play fixes it temporarily and then a week or two later it's got excessive play again. Makes navigating traffic while lane splitting fun!! - I've done 55,000k's with the quick action installed on mine, but had awesome control and no issues for at least a good 30,000k's of that.

It's just wear and tear Kendo, but once it starts it gets annoying.

What you say makes sense BikerBoy, by installing the QAT you have changed the leverage ratio between the throttle tube and the throttle pulley. So now the opening cable will action faster for a given movement at the throttle tube, but as the throttle pulley's cam profile hasn't changed, theoretically the closing cable has lost a small percentage of it's leverage in comparison to the opening cable.
Add a little extra cable stretch because they now work under slightly more tension and there you have it.
Be interesting to see if this affects Gen 1's different to Gen 2's.
Guess I'll see how it goes in time.

Kendo, with out seeing this specific QAT, I am unsure how you can speed up response without having a larger cam on your throttle tube. NB: I have not pulled a Busa throttle assy apart YET.
Since I need plates to strap the front down I may as well buy the QAT as well.
BTW, even @ $80 inc freight for the throttle alone is still cheap I think Very Happy.

Perhaps I didn't put it the best way. By faster I meant more cable pull for a given amount of throttle turn vs the OEM tube. If it didn't pull more cable it wouldn't get to WOT in a shorter turn.
I didn't bother to compare before installation but I assumed the QAT tube has a slightly bigger cam than the OEM throttle tube and slightly different locating point for the cable head. Loved the result, wasn't too concerned about the how. Maybe I'll compare the two tubes now just out of curiosity.

That was my theory anyhow, but it wouldn't be the first time my theory was flawed.Lol3
Hey Kendo def interested in this - how difficult is the install ?
Just get one from a Yamaha dealer here in OZ or a wrecker
(29-07-2013, 02:11pm)mozza24 Wrote: Hey Kendo def interested in this - how difficult is the install ?

The install is straight forward, but like anything to do with throttle operation, if you are unsure get someone who knows to check it for you.
Like Simmo said though, the same result can be sourced locally using the correct R1 or R6 throttle tube.
I got mine from Schnitz simply because I was already buying a few other things from them.
Oh and after having a few Yamahas over time I'm sick of paying their ludicrous prices for genuine Yamaha parts, them red Yamaha labels on their packaging must be reeeaaal expensive.Pi_tongueLol3Lol3
(29-07-2013, 06:46pm)Kendo Wrote:
(29-07-2013, 02:11pm)mozza24 Wrote: Hey Kendo def interested in this - how difficult is the install ?

The install is straight forward, but like anything to do with throttle operation, if you are unsure get someone who knows to check it for you.
Like Simmo said though, the same result can be sourced locally using the correct R1 or R6 throttle tube.
I got mine from Schnitz simply because I was already buying a few other things from them.
Oh and after having a few Yamahas over time I'm sick of paying their ludicrous prices for genuine Yamaha parts, them red Yamaha labels on their packaging must be reeeaaal expensive.Pi_tongueLol3Lol3

Cheers Kendo
[Image: 376940_387806234669413_1824591850_n.jpg]

The difference the R6 tube made to the turn

[Image: 970100_387806221336081_1985471024_n.jpg]

Difference between R6 and stock
Turbo ZX7 for the street Biker
Busa for the drags Trophy