Aftermarket Exhausts
bluviper, or anyone else with a pic. Could you please post or send a pic of the Megacycle cans. E-mail address is in my profile. Thanks.
I have pickies in the members pictures forum!
demeester, thanks for the guidance I was too lazy to find myself. Now a couple of questions. Are they very loud? I would like a deeper sound than standard, but don't like attracting too much attention. Do they affect general running, ie loss of bottom end power or "fluffiness" down low, without re-mapping? I'm not after more power, just a better sound without affecting the general running of the bike.
They are a bit louder but not to loud that the cops will bother you.You may have to get it re mapped but i think you will find that the case with any system you
put on.I had mine done and it worth it if you can find
someone good.Im getting 169hp out of mine with the megacycle on.
Jamie, and I am getting around 164hp and that's with Akropovic full racer 4 into 1, so those megacycle cans must be giving you an extra 12hp on top of the 157 stock standard, just don't add up, unless you have some extra mods on the bike.
Noise wise, I agree with Jamie there. A bit lower, and a nice round sound, but not overly so. Re power, I can't comment as I have had the bike on a dyno, but I did not notice gains. (Speed gains were attained in heavy traffic as cars were more likely to move across when they hear you coming )
I have a Magnum system. It retains the stock headers however converts them to a 4-2-1 system, using a single carbon can. Gives the bike that nice 4-1 sound and look.

Power wise the increase is only marginal (about the same as fitting a couple of slip ons) however it is much cheaper than fitting a full system. The only downside is you need to cut the original system however you are supplied with a couple of adapters which allow you to join up the original system if you ever wish to.

With this system, the airbox, gps mod and ecu re-map I am getting around 170hp. Volvi you mention you are getting 164hp with your Akropovic system. Have you had your ecu re-mapped as this can make a big difference? Before I had the ecu re-mapped I was getting just over 160hp, with all the other above mods. Jamie I think you mentioned that you have done the same mods and had the ecu re-mapped????
Hey there

I also fitted megacycle, MYSELF!! I noticed an incredible increase in power, pick-up and a scarey loss of engine braking. My beast scared the hell out of me for two days while I got used to the different feel. I don't know how you feel about that, but I thought it was GREAT! Also, people who know more about this than me comment on the very nice engineering and 'finish' on the cans. Go the Megacycle, you'll love them.

HEIDI xxx
So now the next question is where in Perth is there someone who can competently re-map the fuel injection of a Busa ?
and does anybody have an understanding how it`s done ?
from what I gather the standard computer has a multitude of maps in its memory are all these wiped and replaced or do they just make modifications to one or all the maps ?
P.S Have you guys considered having a tech section on the Board.

Brian
G'day Brian,

If you want your Bus re-mapped go and see Greg at Thoroughbred Motorcycles.
I believe he has one of those plug in thingies. Also a state of the art Dyno.
Be prepared for the lower HP reading as this is a "rolling road" or eddie current dyno.

I've seen a quite a few Buses with Akropovic 4/1 in Perth so some one must be doing it.

On the subject of Dyno readings there are obviously variations between different brands/models, so If a standard exhaust with end cans only is giving more power than a 4/1 Akropovic (and the Povic bus is healthy & re-mapped properly) something fishy is going on !

Regards

Old Cahn
DYNO readings are a bit like fish stories, you know.. like the one that got away was always the biggest fish you ever hooked.... but never landed.. (fishy story alright!),,

firstly, there are a myriad of factors that can alter dyno numbers on any given day like the human element for one, barometric pressures, ambient temperatures, humidity and just plain errors, it's also not too difficult for a dyno operator to come up with a 'more favourable' reading just by fiddling a bit - not saying that they do, but they can!

some exhaust systems can provide an extra little bit of output, but more importantly they provide a 'note' which excites the rider and gives the 'impression' of more power and a better feel,,

the bottom line is, as long as your busa is running ok it produces close to 160hp - give or take a few ponies, depending on mods and on which day it was built etc, and as such it's pretty much the most powerful production beast in the world, so why stress over a few ponies which really only come into their own at the very top end ??????

cheers
les

G'day Les,

I agree with your comments about the variations possible on dyno runs. However I thought that correction factors were "dialed in" to the programmes so that different conditions could be simulated. Corrected RWHP as is often toted in the US mags.

This Eddie Current Dyno over here in Perth reads about 140 RWHP for a Bus. 118 RWHP for an R1
120 RWHPish for a 1100 Super Blackbird (fuel Inj)....that may stress a few!!
I disagree however about the gains being only at the top-end. A good quality pipe aka Akropovic, Yoshi etc. should out perform the stock system all through the rev range. Not to mention the 10 + kgs saved.

Over here in WA when we go Fangin it's 8 - 11,000 rpms all the way with the throttle pinned WFO
I just love watchin that speedo crank like most other bikes tachos!... so if it is only at the top end ....
so am I.

Regards

Old Cahn

yes old cahn, that's partly my point, if the dyno operator "dials in" the correction factors you would get a truer picture of the real macoy ponies, but some operators 'play' with those factors and there lies the REAL story about those unrealistic hp figures being floated all over the place,,

there is no denying that a top quality exhaust system with matching fuel and air systems, correctly tuned, will give you some dyno gains, but in real life, as i have experienced, the performance difference is not so dramatic on the already powerful busa, and therefore the cost should be carefully weighed,,

ultimately, each bike owner follows their own desires as to what they want from their respective machines and as long as you feel good about your bike with or without mods, that's all that counts,,

if your tacho is in the 8-11,000 rpm range most of the time when you go "fangin" you sure are at the top end and i suppose every little bit counts then,,

just enjoy your machine and take care out there, i hope you don't strike too many boys in blue at those rev levels,,

cheers
les
The correction factors are there to relate everything back to a standard i.e. sea level barometric pressure, 20 degrees C and relative humidity. This way you are able to do a dyno run on a dry 30 degree degree day and directly compare the results to those taken on a 10 degree wet day. The figures are corrected to the standard. Unfortunately the industry standard as far as horsepower figures are concerned is the Dynojet inertia dyno (I hate calling those things dynos) so everone, even those with eddie current units have to multiply their figures by 17.6% to give Dynojet horsepower. There will always be discrepincies between dynos even those made by the same manufacturer. The important thing is that their results are repeatable and that you stick to using the same dyno. The end figure gives you bragging rights but the most important thing is you see an improvement after each mod.
The dyno that Volvi's bike was tested on measures about 10 horsepower lower than some others. This is not a bad thing if you only compare the horsepower outputs of bikes tested on this dyno.
The latest dynos automatically correct for atmospheric conditions however the most common mistake made by dyno operators is to leave the temerature probe hanging on the side of the computer, away from any cooling air stream. It therefore correct for a higher temperature than the temperature of the air going into the airbox - result - instant horsepower increase.
The eddie current dyno in Perth is obviously reading true rear wheel horsepower not corrected "Dynojets".
"The dyno that Volvi's bike was tested on measures about 10 horsepower lower than some others."

JP, just to clarify, that my bike was dynoed at the 'other' boards workshop some months ago, and the mapping appeared all to be spot on, so no adjustments were made.

BTW, I have always wondered whether the PCII with their mapping for Akropovic 4 into 1, is a worthwhile investment? Could you or Col give your opinions thereto.

Thanks.